The best kind of paint to use on a garage door is an exterior latex paint from a paint brand that makes quality paint. This is true for vinyl garage doors and wooden garage doors. For metal garage doors, the best paint is oil-based exterior paint, but exterior latex paint will still work.
What kind of paint do you use on a garage door?
Acrylic latex exterior house paint is the best choice, but be sure to choose a high quality paint. In most cases a single coat of paint is all it takes, but keep in mind it could take more than one coat to provide good coverage if you’re painting the garage doors a color that’s lighter than the original color.
Do you need special paint for a garage door?
If the garage door is wood, you’ll want to apply a primer—after sanding, of course—and then paint. When it comes to wood, you can be a bit choosier with the kind of paint that you use. Be sure that it’s at least tailored for outdoor use.
What paint is best for metal garage door?
- Hammerite Garage Door Paint. A big brand name but a rather disappointing product – however it did resist flaking and peeling.
- Hammerite Direct To Galvanised Metal. Decent quality paint for galvanised metal garage doors – it dries to a smooth, glossy finish.
- Dulux Trade Metalshield Gloss.
Do I need to Prime garage door before painting?
Step 1: Pick your garage door paint
Be sure to shop around — pick up color samples you think might work on your door — so you can test them out before going all-in. Pro tip: Buy an exterior primer to help the fresh coat of paint go on smoothly and stick better.
What is the best way to paint an aluminum garage door?
How to Paint an Aluminum Garage Door
- Step 1: PREP. Wait for a few days of good weather before starting. …
- Step 2: PRIME IT. Select an oil based primer. …
- Day 2, Step 3: TOPCOAT IT. Select either an oil based exterior paint or a 100% acrylic exterior paint. …
- TIP: Be sure to read all instructions on the materials used.
How do you prepare a garage door for painting?
Prepare the garage door by rubbing down with either coarse sandpaper or a wire brush. Wash the door with water and a diluted detergent. This will remove any dust, grease or dirt which may prevent the paint from sticking to the surface. Ensure the door is completely dry again before painting.
Can I paint the inside of my garage door?
Even if your house does not need an entire new paint job, painting the garage door can do wonders for the look of your home. For metal or wood garage doors, a high-quality, exterior latex house paint should be used. Wooden garage doors need a coat of primer before the finish coat.
Can you paint a garage door with a roller?
As with priming, when painting garage doors you can use a wide paintbrush, roller, or sprayer to apply a latex exterior paint like True Value EasyCare Ultra Premium Exterior Paint. … You’ll have to paint both the inside and outside of the garage door. Let the paint dry and then apply another coat.
Can you paint an aluminum garage door?
There is no secret to painting an aluminum garage. … You should clean the surface, prime using an oil-based metal primer and top it off by applying a 100 percent acrylic exterior latex paint. Oil-based primer prepares the metal to accept the more durable latex paint.
Do you need special paint for metal doors?
However, applying metal door paint needs extra special care because the paint isn’t absorbed into the material like it is with wood. If you don’t get the process right, you could end up with a rough-looking texture in your paint finish.
How do you paint an old metal garage door?
If you’re painting a brand new garage door, it may already have a powder or primer coat so you can skip ahead to step five.
- Remove old paint. Lay down a dust sheet and put on a mask and goggles to protect yourself from dust. …
- Clean the door. …
- Protect fixtures. …
- Apply metal primer. …
- Apply the first coat of paint.
How do you paint a metal garage door that is peeling?
- Scrape all the chipped, bubbled and peeling paint off the steel garage door with a rigid, metal putty knife.
- Sand the areas with medium-grade sandpaper where the paint has been removed to lightly roughen the surface of the steel garage door. …
- Sand off any rust on the steel garage door with medium-grade sandpaper.
How much paint do I need for a 2 car garage wall?
Add all the walls together and the total surface area of the garage to be painted is 672 square feet. If the paint chosen covers 400 square feet, for example, the project would use most of two gallons. Most paints list an expected coverage per gallon; this is an estimate.
How much does it cost for a new garage door?
A standard, single garage door ranges from $600 to $1,500 installed. A double car door averages $800 to $1,500 installed. Labor costs about $300 per unit, while the price of a new garage door is $300 to $1,100. Pros tend to price these per project, which includes labor, the door, tracks and any hardware.